Brecon Beacon National park is a landscape that offers a legacy of unparalleled proportions with stunning mountains ranges, internationally renowned geology sites, beautiful wildlife, gorgeous waterfalls and diverse recreational opportunities. This national park has some of the most spectacular and distinctive upland formations in southern Britain. This wonderful national park is spread across 1344 sq km (519 sq mi) and is located in the central part of Wales. This destination is a perfect place to visit all year around with your friends and families.
THINGS TO DO…
- Go stargazing
The Brecon Beacon National Park is an international Dark Sky Reserve. It was only the fifth location in the world and first in Wales to receive this accreditation in 2013. On a clear night sky one can see the Milky way, major constellations and nebula with the naked eye. If you are lucky enough you can also witness the Northern Lights.
- Enjoy some of the best views and amazing activities at Black Mountains
This stunning mountain offers one best view of the national park. There are many things and activities to do around this mountain.
- Go hiking or walking on the trails while witnessing the surrounding beauty to reach the top of the mountain. There are many walking trails and routes which are suitable for family walks also.
- Go on a gliding adventure in the mountains. (Black Mountain Gliding Club)
- This mountain area is a great place to go horse riding.
There are various other things to do in national park such as
- kayak and canoe along the river Wye
- Bike ride: with such quiet roads and very few cars around, the national park is a perfect place for an enjoyable and scenic bike ride.
- Whisky tasting and tours: Penderyn, wales only whisky distillery is situated in the national park and is considered the smallest distillery in the world.
- Gorge walking and rock climbing
- Birdwatching: In this national park you can see red kites, tawny owls and red grouse, along this you can also see the endangered species such as lapwings, little ringed plovers, night jars and reed warblers.
- Carreg Cennen Castle
This castle is situated in the western part of the national park, this castle dates back to 13 century and stands on the edge of a cliff, overlooking beautiful landscapes. This castle has witnessed numerous historic events including the Owain Glyndwr Rebellion and it was a lancastrian stronghold during the war of the Roses.
- Henrhyd Falls
This is the highest waterfall in the Brecon Beacon national park. Did you know the batcave from the movie Batman, The Dark Knight Rises (YYYY) is located behind this waterfall.
- Wanders by waterfall
This waterfall country is located in the southern slopes of the Fforest Fawr massif, west of Merthyr Tydfil. This waterfall is one of the most beautiful and popular parts of the Brecon Beacon National park.
The other things that you can see and enjoy are
- National show caves of wales
- Talgarth Mills
- Tretower courts and castle
- Crickhowell Walking Festival – March
- Blaenavon Walking Festival – April
- Hay Festival – May/June
- The Abergavenny Festival of Cycling – July
- Brecon Jazz – August
- The Green Man Festival – August
- Llandovery Sheep Festival – September
- Abergavenny Food Festival – september
- Hay-on-Wye walking Festival- October
Brecon: The largest town in the Brecon Beacon national park, it is a vibrant historic market town with plenty of museums and a very old cathedral.
Crickhowell: Picturesque little town set in Usk valley, with the Black Mountains in the background. Be sure to stop at the Bear INN to enjoy a traditional pint of local beer.
Hay-on-Wye: This is one of the most famous towns in the UK. This town is known for its book shops and festivals that take place.
Llandovery: This is a perfect place if one wants to relax while enjoying the beautiful nature around. It is set in a quiet part in the eastern part of the national park, this small little market town is the most rural part of the park.
Brecon Beacon national park is one of the great destinations to go on a holiday over a weekend trip with your loved ones, as there are great outdoor adventures to do. This is also a beautiful place to relax and enjoy your holiday with friends and family
To find out more contact us via [email protected] . Extra Mile Tours® focuses on UK bespoke group travel experiences with nature and outdoor activities in mind.
Leave a Reply